Learn how to find, use and format images for your research, classroom activities and presentations. You’ll leave the workshop having covered editing basics as well as how to find and cite Creative Commons licensed images.
Copyright, Creative Commons, and Citing
- Can I Use That Picture (infographic) via TheVisualCommunicationGuy.com
- The Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Media Literacy Education Center for Media and Social Impact
- Images, copyright, and Creative Commons via Edublogs Teach Challenge
- Duko, Melissa. “Copyright Infringement: Are You Allowed to Use That Image?” Business 2 Community. N.p., 11 May 2016. Web. 13 Feb. 2017.
- Have a question about Copyright? Contact a librarian! They are the best resources to contact if you need help figuring out Copyright issues. Not sure who your library liaison is? Find out on the Library Website!
- also see Copyright on the Online Learning at Fordham wiki
- Creative Commons
- Creative Commons: The Ultimate Guide
- Creative Commons Certificate for Librarians and Educators (free e-book)
- Best practices for attribution (for example: photo title by name, author, used under (BY-NC-etc) Creative Commons license)
- Use the advanced search for images feature- remember to select the option from the drop-down menu on the left to only search “creative commons” licensed photos
- Create an account and favorite photos that you use or think would be useful- you can search your own or other users’ favorites (Kristen’s Flickr Favorites )
- Make attribution of Flickr images easy with this tool – drag the blue button “flickr cc attribution helper” at the bottom onto your Chrome bookmarks toolbar
- Photos For Class search Creative Commons photos on Flickr, the downloaded photo will automatically have the citation on the image
- ALA Connect: Digital Images Collections Guides | MIT Libraries: Selected Image Sources | BGSU Libraries: Image Collections by Topic
- Internet Archive
- Unsplash (license info here)
- Kristen’s bookmarks: images* curated list with notes for most links containing information about copyright and usage
- 21 Amazing Sites With Breathtaking Free Stock Photos check individual sites for copyright and usage information
- The Gender Spectrum Collection: Stock Photos Beyond the Binary photos can be used under a Creative Commons license of BY-NC-ND
File Types and Formatting
File Types and Info
- Know Your Image Formats Mega Cheat Sheet (Infographic) via MakeAWebsite Hub
- Goodnight, Eric Z. “What’s the Difference Between JPG, PNG, and GIF?” HowTo Geek. N.p., 10 May 2010. Web. 13 Feb. 2017.
- Connolly Follow, Randy. “WEB I – 08 – Digital Media.” Slideshare. N.p., 06 Mar. 2009. Web. 14 Feb. 2017.
- Uiucpixels. “Visual Literacy and Infographics.” Illinois Pixels. N.p., 25 Mar. 2016. Web. 14 Feb. 2017.
Formatting in PowerPoint
- Format images on slides via MS Office and LinkedIN Learning (video with transcript)
- How to use picture placeholders for easy placement and cropping in PowerPoint via Tech Republic
MS Office Shortcuts and Customization
- “CTRL” + “Z” undo
- “CTRL” + “Y” redo
- “CTRL” + “D” duplicate
- “CTRL” + “X” cut
- Customize the PowerPoint Quick Access Toolbar via MS Office (PC)
- Tineye reverse image search
- Build Your Own Adobe Creative Suite with Free and Cheap Software
- SumoPaint browser based Photoshop like software
- Pixlr Editor browser based Chrome extension that works with Google Drive
- Lunapic browser based editor with effects
- Remove Background
- 39 Free Tools for Creating Unique Images
- Animated gifs can be added to PPT files just like images. Here’s an example of an animated chart made into a gif.
- Giphy search and share animated gifs
- EZGif edit and create animated gifs
- 7 Tips for Designing Awesome Gifs
- Turning Your Google Slidedeck into an Animated Gif
- In the Age of Social Media are GIFs the New Short Films? (Video)
- Giphy Film Festival
CC and the Free Access Movement
- Beckedahl, Markus, and John Weitzmann. “10 Years of Creative Commons: An Interview with Co-Founder Lawrence Lessig.” 10 Years of Creative Commons: An Interview with Co-Founder Lawrence Lessig |. Governance Across Borders, 22 Oct. 2014. Web. 14 Feb. 2017.
- Popova, Maria. “Lawrence Lessig on the Free Access Movement.” Brain Pickings. N.p., 02 Nov. 2015. Web. 14 Feb. 2017.
- Lessig, Lawrence. Free Culture: The Nature and Future of Creativity. New York, N.Y.: Penguin, 2005. Web. 14 Feb. 2017. [free PDF]
- Lessig, Lawrence. “CC in Review: Lawrence Lessig on How It All Began.” Creative Commons. N.p., 12 Oct. 2005. Web. 14 Feb. 2017.
- The State of Creative Commons