Slides: Managing Your Digital Identity
Digital Tattoo Project (University of British Columbia)
The goal of the Digital Tattoo project is to raise questions, provide examples and links to resources to encourage you to think about your presence online, navigate the issues involved in forming and re-forming your digital identity and learn about your rights and responsibilities as a digital citizen. It’s really just all about making informed decisions and your own decisions.
Digital Identity Health Check for Academics (PDF) via Piirus
Articles and Blog Posts
- Arruda, William. “Five Steps to a Squeaky-Clean Online Identity.” Expert Career Advice. N.p., 08 Aug. 2016. Web. 19 Oct. 2016.
- Bates, Cathy. “Take Charge of Your Online Reputation.” EDUCAUSE Review, 29 Oct. 2018.
- Couros, Alec. “Would The Real ‘Alec Couros’ Please Stand Up?” Open Thinking. N.p., 03 Apr. 2014. Web. 19 Oct. 2016.
- Schryver, Kelly. “Who Are You Online? Considering Issues of Web Identity.” The New York Times. N.p., 05 Feb. 2013. Web. 05 Jan. 2017.
Username & Profile
- Protect Yourself with More Than a Password (Infographic)
- How common is your password? (Infographic)
- The 25 Most Popular Passwords of 2018 Will Make You Feel Like a Security Genius
- Urbina, Ian. “The Secret Life of Passwords.” New York Times. N.p., 19 Nov. 2014. Web. 19 Oct. 2016.
- Two Factor Auth A list of websites and whether or not they support 2FA
- Mishra, Ashutosh. “Two Factor Authentication – Something You Know, Something You Have.” TechSnuff. N.p., 29 Mar. 2015. Web. 19 Oct. 2016.
Terms of Service
- Terms of Service; Didn’t Read
- Larson, Selena. “LinkedIn’s Latest Lawsuit Is A Great Reminder Of How We Give Up Our Own Privacy.” ReadWrite. N.p., 14 June 2014. Web. 19 Oct. 2016.
Fordham IT Security Office
- University Information Security Office (UISO)
- Fordham IT Security News Blog
- Follow Fordham Secure IT on Twitter
- Contact UISO directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Privacy & Encryption- Additional Resources
- Mason, John. “ISP Law and the Pros and Cons of VPN Usage.” EDUCAUSE Review, 8 May 2017.
- Kristen’s Privacy page: Encryption
- Do You Know Where Your Data Is (infographic)
- The Landscape of Big Data (infographic)
- The Dangers of Big Data (video)
- Curran, Ted. “Always Know Where Your Towel (and File) Is” Ted Curran.net. Tips, Tricks, and Lifehacks for Online Educators. N.p., 13 May 2016. Web. 19 Oct. 2016
- Curran, Ted. “POSSE: Why Your Blog Should Be the Center of Your Digital Life” Ted Curran.net. Tips, Tricks, and Lifehacks for Online Educators. N.p., 9 December 2014. Web. 19 Oct. 2016.
- Nield, David. “How to See Everything Your Browser Knows About You.” Gizmodo, Gizmodo.com, 28 Aug. 2018.
- Conversation Prism (Infographic)
- Catone, Josh. “5 Ways to Share Your Social Media Identity.” Mashable, 27 May 2009.
- Hines, Kristi. “10 Elements of a Successful Social Media Profile.” Neil Patel, 25 June 2018.
- Zhang, Lily. “3 Brilliant LinkedIn Summaries That Will Inspire You to Update Yours.” Mashable, 12 June 2015.
see Treglia: Twitter
- VC backed/commercial: Academia.edu, Mendeley (Elsevier), ResearchGate
- Non-Commercial Pre-Print Server: arXiv and bioRxiv
- Subject Based Repository: PubMed Central
Articles and Blog Posts
- Berlatsky, Noah. “Why Isn’t Academic Research Free to Everyone?” The Atlantic, Atlantic Media Company, 20 Nov. 2014.
- Bond, Sarah. “Dear Scholars, Delete Your Account At Academia.Edu.” Forbes, Forbes Magazine, 24 Jan. 2017.
- Clarke, Michael. “The End of an Era for Academia.edu and Other Academic Networks?” The Scholarly Kitchen, 11 Dec. 2013.
- McKenna, Laura. “Can Academics Trust Their Research With For-Profit Companies?” The Atlantic, Atlantic Media Company, 17 Dec. 2015.
- Wecker, Menachem. “Should You Share Your Research on Academia.edu?” ChronicleVitae for Higher Ed Jobs, Career Tools and Advice, 20 Feb. 2014.
Articles and Blog Posts
- Carmichael , Charley. “Website Builder Comparison Chart (Dec 2018) | WebsiteBuilderExpert.” Best Website Builder Reviews for 2018, 8 Nov. 2018, www.websitebuilderexpert.com/website-builders/comparisons/.
- Jeremy. “Wix vs Weebly vs Squarespace vs Jimdo – Top 3 Pros / Cons (Dec 18).” Best Website Builder Reviews for 2018, 28 Nov. 2018.
- e-Portfolio Checklist (Infographic)
- Using Technology to Support Alternative Assessment and Electronic Portfolios
- Selecting a “Free” Online Tool for ePortfolio Development This chart was developed for K-12 schools, but it can be modified for higher education.
- Professional Development for Implementing Electronic Portfolios
- TEDxASB – Helen Barrett – 2/25/10 (video) | Helen’s delicious links and she’s also on Twitter
- Simon, Edwige. “Do I Need a Digital Teaching Portfolio?” Edutopia, George Lucas Educational Foundation, 17 July 2014.