Slides: Managing Your Digital Identity
Digital Tattoo Project (University of British Columbia)
The goal of the Digital Tattoo project is to raise questions, provide examples and links to resources to encourage you to think about your presence online, navigate the issues involved in forming and re-forming your digital identity and learn about your rights and responsibilities as a digital citizen. It’s really just all about making informed decisions and your own decisions.
Digital Identity Health Check for Academics (PDF) via Piirus
Articles and Blog Posts
- Couros, Alec. “Would The Real ‘Alec Couros’ Please Stand Up?” Open Thinking. N.p., 03 Apr. 2014. Web. 19 Oct. 2016.
- Arruda, William. “Five Steps to a Squeaky-Clean Online Identity.” Expert Career Advice. N.p., 08 Aug. 2016. Web. 19 Oct. 2016.
- Schryver, Kelly. “Who Are You Online? Considering Issues of Web Identity.” The New York Times. N.p., 05 Feb. 2013. Web. 05 Jan. 2017.
- Bates, Cathy. “Take Charge of Your Online Reputation.” EDUCAUSE Review, 29 Oct. 2018.
Username & Profile
- What’s in a P@$w*rd? (Infographic)
- How common is your password? (Infographic)
- Urbina, Ian. “The Secret Life of Passwords.” New York Times. N.p., 19 Nov. 2014. Web. 19 Oct. 2016.
- Two Factor Auth A list of websites and whether or not they support 2FA
- Mishra, Ashutosh. “Two Factor Authentication – Something You Know, Something You Have.” TechSnuff. N.p., 29 Mar. 2015. Web. 19 Oct. 2016.
Terms of Service
- Terms of Service; Didn’t Read Terms of service are often too long to read, but it’s important to understand what’s in them. Your rights online depend on them. We hope that our ratings can help you get informed about your rights. You can also get the ratings directly in your browser by installing our web browser add-on.
- Larson, Selena. “LinkedIn’s Latest Lawsuit Is A Great Reminder Of How We Give Up Our Own Privacy.” ReadWrite. N.p., 14 June 2014. Web. 19 Oct. 2016.
Fordham IT Security Office
- University Information Security Office (UISO)
- Fordham IT Security News Blog
- Follow Fordham Secure IT on Twitter
- Contact UISO directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Privacy & Encryption- Additional Resources
- Do You Know Where Your Data Is (infographic)
- The Landscape of Big Data (infographic)
- How to See Everything Your Browser Knows About You
- Curran, Ted. “Always Know Where Your Towel (and File) Is” Ted Curran.net. Tips, Tricks, and Lifehacks for Online Educators. N.p., 13 May 2016. Web. 19 Oct. 2016
- Curran, Ted. “POSSE: Why Your Blog Should Be the Center of Your Digital Life” Ted Curran.net. Tips, Tricks, and Lifehacks for Online Educators. N.p., 9 December 2014. Web. 19 Oct. 2016
- Conversation Prism (Infographic)
- The 10 Elements of a Successful Social Media Profile
- 5 Ways to Share Your Social Media Identity
- LinkedIn for Beginners
- All Encompassing LinkedIn How To Resource Guide
- 3 Brilliant LinkedIn Summaries
see Treglia: Twitter
- VC backed/commercial: Academia.edu, Mendeley (Elsevier), ResearchGate
- Non-Commercial Pre-Print Server: arXiv and bioRxiv
- Subject Based Repository: PubMed Central
Articles and Blog Posts
- Should You Share Your Research on Academia.edu?
- Dear Scholars, Delete Your Account At Academia.Edu
- The Convoluted Profits of Academic Publishing
- The End of an Era for Academia.edu and Other Academic Networks?
- Why Isn’t Academic Research Free to Everyone?
- e-Portfolio Checklist (Infographic)
- Do I Need a Digital Teaching Portfolio?
- Using Technology to Support Alternative Assessment and Electronic Portfolios
- Selecting a “Free” Online Tool for ePortfolio Development This chart was developed for K-12 schools, but it can be modified for higher education.
- Professional Development for Implementing Electronic Portfolios
- TEDxASB – Helen Barrett – 2/25/10 (video) | Helen’s delicious links and she’s also on Twitter